Full Time Positions
No opportunities at this time.
Part Time Positions
Palo Alto Players is seeking a part time Bookkeeper to join its dynamic team. The Bookkeeper will support Palo Alto Players’ finances and operations in two specific areas: bookkeeping and accounts receivable/payable; and payroll/human resources. This position will work closely with the Managing Director and Artistic Director as well as Palo Alto Players’ staff and Board. Ideal candidates will have nonprofit bookkeeping and accounting experience, knowledge of the nonprofit industry, a ‘can-do’ attitude, and be a highly motivated team player.
Bookkeeping, Accounts Receivable/Payable:
- Perform all general accounting functions for the company, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general bookkeeping (journal entries, bank reconciliation, etc.).
- Reconcile accounting record with daily ticketing/donation activity.
- Keep all accounts up to date.
- Make bank deposits.
- Using Quickbooks, enter annual budget and monthly projections into the system, and generate financial reports as requested by the Managing Director.
- Prepare and distribute 1099’s.
- Keep all records in accordance with record keeping requirements.
- Act as liaison between company and CPA. Prepare financials for annual CPA review and 990 filing.
- Gather payroll information from all departments and run twice monthly payroll using ADP RUN, ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
- Enter all payroll transactions into Quickbooks following the agreed upon allocation formulas.
- General benefits management and administration.
- Maintain proper paperwork and develop plans for accident and injury reporting, workers comp requests, etc.
- Process wage garnishments and fulfill other requests made by external agencies.
- A minimum of 2 years of bookkeeping or accounting experience, including payroll and accounts payable.
- Experience using Quickbooks.
- Knowledge of GAAP as they apply to nonprofit companies.
- Experience using ADP or similar payroll software.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Experience working with diverse communities and an ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity.
- Experience working the Excel and Google Suite of products.
- This is a part time, non-exempt position, 10-12 hours per week. Work schedule is flexible and Palo Alto Players will consider hybrid work options.
- Location: Lucie Stern Theater at 1305 Middlefield Road in Palo Alto, CA.
Compensation: $30-$35/hour. No benefits.
To Apply: Palo Alto Players is looking to fill this position quickly. For consideration, please submit your interest and resume via email to [email protected] and include ‘Bookkeeper’ in the subject line.
Palo Alto Players is an equal opportunity employer.
About Palo Alto Players
The Peninsula’s first theatre company, Palo Alto Players, has been continuously producing professional-quality theatre with local artists in Palo Alto since 1931. Based at the Lucie Stern Theater since 1933, Palo Alto Players produces a diverse 5-show season of comedies, dramas, and musicals from September to June under the leadership of Artistic Director Patrick Klein and Managing Director Elizabeth Santana. A highly regarded non-profit theatre company with a commitment to community, Palo Alto Players is a well-established fixture of the performing arts landscape in the Bay Area. More information is available at paplayers.org.
With community at our core, Palo Alto Players is the home for creating exceptional theatre experiences that inspire, entertain, and enrich the lives of our local artists and audiences.
We hold ourselves to the highest standards in every area of production and operation, by creating a supportive environment for artists, staff, and volunteers to do their best work.
We celebrate our legacy and cultivate our future by using the resources entrusted to us responsibly and efficiently.
We embrace our community’s rich diversity in our programming, on our stage, and in our audiences. We believe the best possible theatre experience belongs to everybody.
We believe that the lives of all are transformed by access to and participation in theatre. We are committed to removing barriers and creating opportunities.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Palo Alto Players has continued to connect our community, reaching over 1,100 households in 34 states and 6 countries to date, and to expand theatre access, through innovations such as closed captioning for virtual shows and Pay-What-You-Choose pricing. We have been an advocate and resource for arts organizations and other nonprofits throughout the pandemic. We are on a journey to refine administrative and artistic processes that advance our mission through an Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access, and Liberation (IDEAL) lens, setting the example for a theatre of the future that serves the whole community post-pandemic.
Seasonal Artistic Positions
Palo Alto Players is seeking designers, stage managers, and crew on an ongoing basis for its five mainstage productions. For current opportunities, please email Patrick Klein, Artistic Director.