PERFORMS April 26 – May 12, 2024
REHEARSALS: Begin early March
Music & Lyrics By: Meredith Wilson
Book by: Franklin Lacey & Meredith Wilson
Director & Choreographer: Lee Ann Payne
Music Director: Tony Gaitan
ABOUT THE SHOW
THE MUSIC MAN follows fast-talking traveling salesman, Harold Hill, as he cons the people of River City, Iowa, into buying instruments and uniforms for a boys’ band that he vows to organize – this, despite the fact that he doesn’t know a trombone from a treble clef. His plans to skip town with the cash are foiled when he falls for Marian, the librarian, who transforms him into a respectable citizen by curtain’s fall. By turns wicked, funny, warm, romantic and touching, THE MUSIC MAN is family entertainment at its best. Meredith Willson’s six-time, Tony Award-winning musical comedy has been entertaining audiences since 1957 and is a family-friendly story to be shared with every generation.
Location (auditions, rehearsals and performances):
- Lucie Stern Theater, 1305 Middlefield Rd, Palo Alto
- 4 of 5 Weeknights 6-9 pm, at least 1 weekend day, beginning approximately March 4, 2024
- April 26 – May 12, 2024. Curtain Times: Friday/Saturday Performances @ 7:30pm – Sunday Performances @ 2pm. Additional Performance: May 11 @ 2pm (Tech Week: April 20 – 25, 2024)
- Be Aware: There is potential of ADDING a Thursday Matinee as well (Please HOLD: Thursday May 2nd- 11:00am Curtain Time)
Performances will be live with an in person audience. (**Please see note below for potential to change**)
Please NOTE: there is the possibility that Thursday evening, Saturday matinee, or Sunday evening performances may be added to the run of this show (this will be determined closer to the performance dates, but please include conflict information for all eventualities and you must hold these dates available until they are released by PAP staff).
- NOTE: We are unable to accept conflicts during tech week or performance dates as a courtesy to our hardworking staff and fellow cast members. We appreciate your understanding!
- Please prepare a one-minute selection from a musical that shows off your vocal and acting range. An accompanist will be provided, no tapes or recordings please, bring sheet music in your key.
- All those auditioning should be prepared to move. Wear flats or dance shoes and, if you need them, knee pads.
Video auditions will be accepted for those unable to attend but should NOT be substituted for an in-person audition if that is an option. Video submissions must include a resume and headshot and should be delivered thru the CastingManager portal. All video submissions must be received by 1pm on Sunday October 1st.
Saturday, September 30, 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Sunday, October 1, 5:00pm – 9:00pm
**Dance CALL – SUNDAY, October 1st @ 7:30 – 9:30 PM **
**We would love to see as many auditionees (as available) for the Sunday dance call — however a video will be made available to signed up auditionees with the dance combo taught onsite and if you are unable to join or need more time to review we request that dance supplements be emailed to Lauren ([email protected]) before October 3rd in order to be considered for callbacks
NOTE: We hope to cast understudies for leading roles who will otherwise be featured members of the ensemble. We do not guarantee understudies a performance opportunity, but we provide them with active engaged participation throughout the rehearsal process and often allow them to rehearse the role they are understudying throughout the pre-performance period
ADDITIONALLY — THE YOUNGEST PRE-TEEN YOUTH ROLES for this production are NOT AUDITIONING AT THIS TIME, BUT WILL AUDITION AT A LATER DATE (we want to ensure parents are aware of their spring schedules before committing to production participation)
- WINTHROP PAROO: Alto. Young son of Mrs. Paroo, and sister of Marian. Has a lisp and doesn’t talk because of it. He’s brought out of his shell by Harold Hill.
- GRACIE SHINN: Daughter of the Mayor and Eulalie. A bit of a tomboy and a lot of fun.
- AMARYLLIS: Alto. Young piano student of Marian. Takes a liking to Winthrop.
Audition CastingManager Sign Up Link: CLICK HERE
- After following the link above; under “ACTORS” click LOGIN or SIGN UP
- Create a Casting Manager Actor Account by creating your own unique login
- Upload a profile photo (headshot) and be sure to add your resume
- Under the “AUDITIONS” menu select “Schedule Audition” (note, at times if you are new to the site it is often simpler to re-navigate to the PAP auditions page, and re-click the link in order to get in to the scheduling page)
- Select “Pick a Time Slot” for your appointment
- Select which role(s) you would like to be considered for
- You will need to add your phone number and we request that you list any conflicts in the space provided
- When complete press “APPLY” to confirm your audition appointment
- NOTE: If submitting via video, your audition will need to be uploaded and sent via a YouTube or other accessible URL link in order for our casting team to view.
All roles are non-AEA and volunteer. Per diem offered to Adult Actors to offset expenses. We do not plan to double cast any roles, but we will be casting understudies for leading and featured roles.
As part of our commitment to become a more IDEAL community theatre (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access, and Liberation), Palo Alto Players is looking for strong representation of BIPOC artists and artists of other underrepresented identities in our productions. We see diversity in casting and production staffing (colorful and identity-conscious) as the key to true equity. We are not looking to focus our storytelling on one cultural identity or another, but rather focus on telling a season of stories (old and new) with artists as diverse as our community. This means ensuring our audiences the opportunity to see people whom they identify with both on our stage and behind the scenes.
If you have any questions or concerns please write Production Stage Manager, Lauren Howry at [email protected].
Sign up for our Auditions Email List:
Once you have been added (if you are new to our system) you will receive an email from [email protected] saying you now have an account with us. Please note, this is not an automated process and may occur a while after you have input your information below. Thank you for your understanding.